SWA has a total of eleven (11) Strategic Management Units (SMUs). Each SMU has a finance section which is managed by an accountant, under the leadership of the Deputy Finance Officer and two senior accountants.
The SWA Finance Department has created structures and Systems that are able to take care of the needs of the large number of students. The department is ready to continue offering efficient and effective financial support services to its growing number of customer.
The structures are as below:
The SWA Finance Office
This is headed by;
CPA. Ndegwa Stephen Kuria - Deputy Finance Officer
The Deputy Finance Officer is assisted by two Deputies and eleven SMUs Accountants.
Ms Mbugua Lucy Gichiru - Secretary DFO's Office
Ms Kiarie Caroline Karimi - Snr. Accountant, Expenditure
Amos Miricho - Accounts Assistant
Pauline Muthoni - Accounts Assistant
Mrs Mwaluda Mary - Accounts Clerk
Ms Cynthia Wanjiku Njenga - Accounts Assistant
Leah Njeri Kariuki - Office Assistant
Josephine Karisa - Office Assistant
The eleven SMU Accountants are:
Mr Wechabbe Erastus Wekesa - Accountant USHR SMU
Mr Oyaro Joshua Otieno - Accountant, W/Hall SMU
Mwajuma Shiundu - Accountant, Upper Kabete SMU
Mr Ochieng George O - Accountant, Mamlaka SMU
Mr Wahome Gerald Kariungu - Accountant, Parklands SMU
Gladys Wachaga - Accountant, Chiromo SMU
Mr Kitiva Jonathan M -Accountant, Lower Kabete SMU
IGU Accountants are as follows:
Beatrice Maina - Accountant, Varsity Cafe
Grace Njenga Njambi - Accountant, Comcare cafe
Njuguna Simon Njoroge -Accountant Student Centre
The SWA finance office duties are to oversee;-
- Enhancement of revenue collection and controls.
- Maintenance of a balanced annual financial budget.
- Preparation and submission of timely monthly, quarterly and annual management reports.
- Cash Flow Management and forecasting.
- Institution of standard practices of management by adhering to IAS and IFRS financial regulations, and other professional guidelines
- Provision of professional financial advice to SWA Administration.
- Production of SWA annual statutory Financial Statements for consolidation with University annual Financial Statement.
- Prompt attendance to both internal and external audit queries and reports.
- Preparation of strategic plans and quantify deliverables.
- Economic utilization of available financial resources and implementing sound financial and effective systems for the management of University resources.
- Compliance to the University Act 2012 and Financial Regulations.
- The current SWA structure has the SMUs operating as independent departments.
- During the year 2013 finance introduced segmented cost codes to improve on section accountability; this is being reviewed currently to ensure they meet the user demand.
- In the same period cheque printing using Financial Information Management System (FIMs) was introduced and in the course of the year this function will be devolved to the SMUs’.
- Proposal to have payment vouchers printed online during 2013/2014.
Working with Catering Department to ensure full implementation on CMIS which has been piloted in some of our Units.